The third season of Downton Abbey finished up a short while ago and it will be months until another season of this PBS Masterpiece Classic presentation appears on American television. Set during the reign of King Edward VII, the series depicts the intrigue and interconnectedness of English country life within the Abbey as lived by both the moneyed (gilded) Cawley family and the downstairs house staff (overseen) by Carson and Mrs. Hughes.
The series is filmed at Highclere Castle, the residence of the Earl of Carnovan, and there is more information about the house and grounds at the estate website.
Read this article in our EbscoHost database, Downton Abbey, the cover story of British Heritage magazine.
The NHTI Library owns DVDs and recent books, one by Jessica Fellowes, the niece of the series creator and other titles related to the Downton series:
- Downton Abbey, Seasons One & Two DVD PN1992.77 .D69 2012 v. 1-2
- Downton Abbey, Season 2 DVD PN1992.77 .D695 2011 v.2
- Downton Abbey, Season 3 DVD PN1992.77 .D69 2013
- Below Stairs: the Classic Kitchen Maid’s Memoir that Inspired “Upstairs, Downstairs” and “Downton Abbey” by Margaret Powell TX649 .P68 A3 2012
- Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: the Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by the Countess of Carnarvon DA570 .C37 2011
- The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook by Emily Baines TX714 .B33354 2012
- Upstairs & Downstairs: the Illustrated Guide to the Real World of Downton Abbey DA566.4 .W343 2012
- World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellows PN1992.77 .D695 F45 2011