Friday, September 23, 2011

September 11: Three Questions

The NHTI Library posted these questions in the library lobby:

  •  Where were you on 9/11?
  •   How has 9/11 changed you?
  •   How has America changed?


Here are your answers:

Training in California with large machine guns. (Marine)

In math class.Two students received cell phone calls.  One concerned for her father flying then from Boston to NYC, the other involved in homeland security before we officially had homeland security.  Both were OK.

Student came into the library – I had to see it to believe it.  Needed to hear Peter Jennings say it would be OK.

How has America changed?   I can’t fly anywhere without extreme security and invasive checks.  Lots of fear.  Can’t even go to events in arenas – theme parks without checks for security.

In fourth grade – dismissed from class – watched in disbelief on TV.

Our son left for England Sept. 4.  On September 9 or 10, the London ATM ate his card because he forgot to move money before he left.  There was no way to send money to him because the US govt. shut down all money transfers in + out of the US.

I was in history class (which I hated) when it announced over the school.  The TV was turned on for the rest of the day.   No classes.  Everyone was scared/worried about someone they know or loved.  That day changed rules for everything.  Maybe it’s good and bad.

I was in my office when I heard my boss in the next room over swear aloud.  Hearing the TV, I went over to his office and saw the image of the burning tower and plane frozen on the screen.  What remains with me when I think of the actual day of 9/11 are two things:  that image which so changed the world and the courage of passengers of Flight 93.   Horror and heroism – two sides of a terrible event.

I had just gotten up for work thinking this was just going to be another day.  But nothing would ever be the same again.  May all those who where laid to rest find everlasting peace.

I was in Little Hall 2nd floor comp. lab. There for EN101.  Instructor got the news, told us and we watched the events unfold on a small black/white TV in one of the faculty offices.  So strange to be back here 10 years later.

High school Advanced Math and Trig, 2nd block had just begun.  The principal came on the intercom and announced that a 2nd plane had flown into the World Trade Center.  When she said “2nd”, I wondered what had happened.  I didn’t realize “plane” meant “jet plane”, I thought a Cessna had lost control.  Classes stopped for the day as the school watched everything unfold on classroom TV’s.

4th grade.  I was home sick with the flu.  My mom was watching TV when the plane hit the towers.  She called me out and I saw the second plane hit.  I was worried about all the people and I didn’t understand how they could kill all those people.  I still can’t.